Sunday, February 8, 2015

What quits first, the mind or the body?

What quits first, the mind or the body? In my opinion, it's the mind. We all run better when we run with confidence, when we run free and happy. The moment that little thought creeps in our mind that "we're not good enough" or "we are hurting too much and we just can't do it" or "running just isn't my thing. I don't have a runners body".....negative, negative, negative. We all have these negative thoughts from time to time and some days definitely more than others. I've so often wanted to shut off my brain during certain races because my mind was filled with negativity. Filled with thoughts that were not only negative but were just making me not enjoy what I love to do, which is run. Racing and experience is slowly teaching me how to turn that negative mentality into positive. The moment I have a negative thought in my mind, I make myself smile. Sounds retarded doesn't it? Well, it kind of is retarded. The smile in fact looks rather silly especially when you're in pain. It's like a half smile, half I look like I'm gassy, half constipated kind of smile. But really, it works. I make myself smile and just relax. Relax my arms, relax my facial muscles, relax even my butt cheeks. Just relax. Take a deep breath. If it costs me a few seconds, that's ok because in the long run, it will save me an entire race. I then start to think of all the awesome events that have happened to me. All the achievements, all the hard training miles, track sessions, long runs, recent races, recent accomplishments in my life. I think of anything and everything to remind myself that in fact I am worthy and strong. When I think positive, my body reacts. I believe all pain starts up in the mind and then the body reacts and exaggerates those pain stimuli. Remember, when you are hurting, so is everyone else around you. We all like to think that we are the only one hurting because we're weak and we are not in shape. Elites and all athletes alike are hurting. It's how we as athletes deal with the pain. It's how our minds are able to keep us strong in times of pain. Finding strength within. This is what I worked on during today's double stack 5km and 10km races.

No comments:

Post a Comment