Sunday, March 19, 2017

The Swiss Runner That Could

By Guest Blogger Karen Keller

I have never liked the word “can’t”. Ever since I can remember I was told “You could not”. It has always been my encouragement to prove everyone that I could.

A lot of people have asked me “Why do I run?” “Are you running from something?” The answer is, I run because I enjoy it and I still can. I  love how it feels under my feet and can get out into nature and experience the beauty around me.


I started running just to get in shape and when I met my husband, he encouraged me to run. I ran around the block, my husband way in front and I thought to myself, this is not fun and I was going to die. As I got better I began to enjoy it more and entered my first 5K. When I was a Caregiver to my mother I was so emotionally drained, and running became my escape. Whenever I could I would run the trails and streets of Tucson and then started to realize that I could handle life better and that it was okay to take care of myself. I always thought I had to take care of everyone else first and myself last.

In the spring of 2006 I was training for the San Francisco marathon when I discovered a lump, two weeks later I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I went numb. I could not function. I was in excellent health, working out 5 days a week and no sign of cancer in my family. The treatment: 6 months of chemo followed by surgery and 6 weeks of radiation. Was I going to die? All I wanted to do was run from my life. This is where the real race started for me. My life changed from then on. From fear, I became angry then accepted the reality and finally was determined to fight. I was not going to let this disease overtake me. The plan…I was going to do the treatment and then run a Half Marathon the following year. First round of Chemo began and 4 days later my hair started to fall out, but I was ready to fight to the end. The days became weeks and the weeks became months and when the going got tough and I could not get out of bed or eat, I decided I needed something to change my thoughts and look forward to. I decided that once treatment was over I would run the San Francisco Half marathon. I studied the route, read inspirational books and when I was in pain and wanted to give up, I would run the route in my head. July 2007, I found myself at the starting line. I was going to celebrate life and enjoy every step of the way even if it meant walking. I was happy to be alive. It was then that I decided that I was going to enjoy life to the fullest and do the things I enjoy the most. Life is short and you never know what will come your way.


Ever since that day, I have enjoyed every step of my running journey. My husband has supported me through this journey that I have taken.  He still thinks that I am nuts, running at the crack of dawn but he know I am safe and he is happy that I enjoy what I do. He is my rock and is always looking out for me. You may find him at the finish line with his camera in toe ready to snap some photos.

I am still that quiet, shy gal running at the back of the pack but I am catching up, turn around I might be right behind you. I have big goals and dreams. I still dream of running the Boston Marathon, who knows, maybe someday it will happen. For now I am running for the pure enjoyment of running and to see how far I can challenge myself.


One thing is for sure, do what you love to do. Life is short. Nothing is impossible. Why not go after your dreams and goals, I certainly am. Training may be hard but you put one step in front of the other. Yes there may be that time when you feel discouraged but you know what, you pick yourself up, and continue. There is a whole TRP family cheering you on, every step of the way. They will never judge you and they will pick you up when you are at your lowest. Do the things that you enjoy now.  My next big goal: An Ultra, hey, why not 


No comments:

Post a Comment